Movember: Cannabis for Prostate Health
Making our way down the ECS from the gut to the prostate, we’re approaching our last men’s health topic for our #Movember CFAC campaign. The prostate gland can be found beneath the bladder, in front of the rectum. The prostate also wraps around the upper part of the urethra, which is why prostate problems can potentially affect urination and sexual health.
Imagine thinking you’re living a healthy life then suddenly you notice blood in your urine. You schedule an appointment with your doctor, go through all the tests thinking this is no big deal, then you find out you have prostate cancer. Now your head is spinning from all the medical terminology being thrown your way, you’re feeling like you don’t have time to make a clear decision, and you just feel lost. That’s what happened to our dear friend and medical patient Jeff Storm.
We met Jeff a few years back at one of our first vendor training sessions when we were still a medical-only dispensary. His story about how he’s combined cannabis with diet and exercise to bypass tradition cancer treatments was the inspiration behind this campaign. Watch the video below for Jeff’s full story and find out what products he’s been using to keep himself ‘Feeling Good.’
Now, back to the prostate…
According to Harvard Health Publishing, the prostate is prone to 3 main conditions:
- Prostatitis – infection or inflammation of the prostate.
- Benign prostatic hyperlasia – aging-related enlargement of the prostate gland.
- Prostate cancer – the growth of cancerous cells inside the prostate, which may break out of the gland and affect other parts of the body. In the United States, about 1 in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during thier lifetime.
As stated by Sperling prostate center, “Cancer cells have a greater affinity for cannabinoids than normal cells. Laboratory studies[ii] have demonstrated that when the cells are treated with specific cannabinoids, three consequences occur:
- In general, the cells became less viable and more prone to apoptosis (programmed cell death), and
- Androgen receptor activity on the cancer cell surfaces decreased (prostate cancer appears to be “fueled” by androgens, or male hormones)
- Two cannabinoids, THC and CBD, discourage the formation of tumor blood vessels (angiogenesis) needed by prostate cancer tumors to nourish themselves.[iii]“
Here are the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer from our friends at the Movember Foundation.
- A need to urinate frequently, especially at night
- Difficulty starting urination or holding back urine
- Weak or interrupted flow of urine
- Painful or burning urination
- Difficulty in having an erection
- Painful ejaculation
- Blood in urine or semen
- Frequent pain or stiffness in the lower back, hips, or upper thighs
If you’re interested in trying cannabis products for your prostate health, we always recommend consulting your doctor first. As with most cannabis studies, more research still needs to be conducted as results have been anecdotal.
A favorite among our cancer patients has always been the Urbn Leaf RSO oil. Our RSO is derived from an ethyl alcohol extraction process to preserve the quality, purity, potency and overall medicinal value the oil. This produces a safe, potent and effective RSO.
Dosist prides their brand on health and happiness for all. The latest innovation in dose-controlled cannabis, the Dose Dial delivers a precise 3.7mg dissolvable tablet with the turn of a dial for those looking for mild relief throughout the day. If your prostate is feeling off and you can’t seem to get in the right ‘mood’, Dosist also offers an Arouse dose pen that is a 10:1 THC to CBD formula designed to awaken your senses and help stimulate your mind.